Domain near 180 date line. Problem with grid decompositon – in #10: INT2LM

in #10: INT2LM

<p> Dear colleagues, I have a problem with int2lm according to the domain near the 180 date line. This is the Chukchi peninsula region, with parts of domain in the West and East Hemisphere. Driving data are <span class="caps"> MPI </span> - <span class="caps"> ESM </span> -LR historical experiment. The int2lm run log-file (attached as slurm-913310.out) writes a “Climate grid decomposition failed” error. It also writes ‘zmaxlon’ variables previously, I didn’t see it earlier. I have verified all <span class="caps"> GRID </span> _IN namelist parameters (see it in attached int2lm….sh file), it seems to be correctly… I have suggested, this problem is associated with this domain, 180 date line intersection, isn’t (the startlon in caf-file is -180, the endlon is 178.125)? Could you suggest me, maybe, there are many special features by working with such domains? <br/> Thank you very much for any hints. </p>

@vladimirplatonov in #6d607d0

<p> Dear colleagues, I have a problem with int2lm according to the domain near the 180 date line. This is the Chukchi peninsula region, with parts of domain in the West and East Hemisphere. Driving data are <span class="caps"> MPI </span> - <span class="caps"> ESM </span> -LR historical experiment. The int2lm run log-file (attached as slurm-913310.out) writes a “Climate grid decomposition failed” error. It also writes ‘zmaxlon’ variables previously, I didn’t see it earlier. I have verified all <span class="caps"> GRID </span> _IN namelist parameters (see it in attached int2lm….sh file), it seems to be correctly… I have suggested, this problem is associated with this domain, 180 date line intersection, isn’t (the startlon in caf-file is -180, the endlon is 178.125)? Could you suggest me, maybe, there are many special features by working with such domains? <br/> Thank you very much for any hints. </p>

Domain near 180 date line. Problem with grid decompositon

Dear colleagues, I have a problem with int2lm according to the domain near the 180 date line. This is the Chukchi peninsula region, with parts of domain in the West and East Hemisphere. Driving data are MPI - ESM -LR historical experiment. The int2lm run log-file (attached as slurm-913310.out) writes a “Climate grid decomposition failed” error. It also writes ‘zmaxlon’ variables previously, I didn’t see it earlier. I have verified all GRID _IN namelist parameters (see it in attached int2lm….sh file), it seems to be correctly… I have suggested, this problem is associated with this domain, 180 date line intersection, isn’t (the startlon in caf-file is -180, the endlon is 178.125)? Could you suggest me, maybe, there are many special features by working with such domains?
Thank you very much for any hints.

View in channel
<p> Your guess is right. The problem very likely lies in the longitude interval of the global model (-180, 178.125). The interpolation subroutine does only look for longitudes outside this interval. In your case a longitude larger than 178.125 is requested. To solve this problem add the following line in the <span class="caps"> GRID </span> _IN part of the namelist: <br/> <pre> east_add_in=1, </pre> <br/> This copies the first column of the input field to the end of the input field and such extends the interval to (-180, 180). <br/> A similar problem may appear for the poles. In these cases the corresponding parameters are north_add_in and south_add_in. </p>

@burkhardtrockel in #08cfbf5

<p> Your guess is right. The problem very likely lies in the longitude interval of the global model (-180, 178.125). The interpolation subroutine does only look for longitudes outside this interval. In your case a longitude larger than 178.125 is requested. To solve this problem add the following line in the <span class="caps"> GRID </span> _IN part of the namelist: <br/> <pre> east_add_in=1, </pre> <br/> This copies the first column of the input field to the end of the input field and such extends the interval to (-180, 180). <br/> A similar problem may appear for the poles. In these cases the corresponding parameters are north_add_in and south_add_in. </p>

Your guess is right. The problem very likely lies in the longitude interval of the global model (-180, 178.125). The interpolation subroutine does only look for longitudes outside this interval. In your case a longitude larger than 178.125 is requested. To solve this problem add the following line in the GRID _IN part of the namelist:

east_add_in=1,

This copies the first column of the input field to the end of the input field and such extends the interval to (-180, 180).
A similar problem may appear for the poles. In these cases the corresponding parameters are north_add_in and south_add_in.